Sculptra® Aesthetic injectable is used to reverse the signs of facial fat loss that occur with aging. By restoring collagen, which decreases as the body ages, it fills out shallow-to-deep wrinkles and folds that run from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth (nasolabial folds). It is not appropriate for use in the eye and lip areas.
Sculptra Aesthetic’s main component is an alpha hydroxy acid called poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), which is a safe and long-lasting synthetic (artificially created), biocompatible (can be used harmlessly in the body), biodegradable (able to be broken down by the body) substance. PLLA has been used for more than 20 years in many surgical products, including dissolvable sutures and soft-tissue implants.
Benefits of Sculptra Aesthetic Facial Injectable
U.S. Food and Drug Administration-approved for the treatment of nasolabial folds, Sculptra Aesthetic is considered safe and effective for most patients. Because it works gradually, patients achieve a more youthful, natural-looking appearance with subtle, yet noticeable, results. Although not FDA-approved to treat them, according to manufacturer Valeant Aesthetics, Sculptra Aesthetic can be used on marionette lines (at the corners of the mouth) and chin wrinkles. Because it contains no animal, human or bacterial components, allergy testing is not necessary prior to treatment. There is little-to-no downtime after receiving Sculptra injections; most patients return to their normal activities immediately.request an appointment
Treatment and Results of Sculptra Aesthetic Facial Injectable
Sculptra Aesthetic injections are designed to be a one-time treatment. A patient can have up to 4 injection sessions, which are spread 3 weeks apart. When injected into shallow-to-deep folds and lines, the additional collagen that is produced smooths them out, and adds volume to the skin. Results of Sculptra injections vary but, in a clinical study, their effects were shown to last for up to 2 years in most patients.
Side Effects of Sculptra Aesthetic Facial Injectable
Possible side effects of Sculptra injections include localized bleeding, tenderness, discomfort, redness, bruising and swelling. Side effects usually fade within a few days, although can last longer.
According to Valeant Aesthetics, “Other side effects may include small lumps under the skin that are sometimes noticeable when pressing on the treated area. Larger lumps, some with delayed onset with or without inflammation or skin discoloration, have also been reported.”
What is Sculptra?
Sculptra is an injectable used to restore facial areas that have lost their volume and elasticity due to aging. It is a long-lasting treatment that naturally builds crucial collagen structures and makes the skin appear more youthful.
Sculptra presents an innovative approach to treating facial aging and volume loss. Deep injections into facial or body tissues activate dormant fibroblasts— cells in the connective tissue that produce collagen,
elastin, and glycosaminoglycans. Hyaluronic acid is a well-known glycosaminoglycan responsible for the hydration of cutaneous tissue.
Treatment with Sculptra improves laxity, increases thickness, and rehydrates the skin for results that gradually develop over six months and last a minimum of two years. Routine treatments every six months will continue to improve the skin’s volume, structure, and elasticity for natural-looking long-lasting benefits.
Sculptra is a non-surgical, anti-aging treatment that reduces age-related changes like wrinkles, shallow to deep nasolabial folds, contour deficiencies, and sagging skin. It boosts and stimulates the natural production of collagen— the essential protein that provides strength and support to the skin.
What Results to Expect:
- Reduced Appearance of Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Reduced Appearance of Moderate to Deep Facial Folds
- Improved Structure and Facial Volume
- Smooth Skin Texture
- Enhanced Skin Laxity
- Stimulates Natural Collagen Production
- Long-lasting Results
- Natural-looking Results
- Natural Skin Rejuvenation
How Long Will Results Last?
Sculptra is a stimulatory filler, as it works to build up collagen and elastin on a deeper level. The results are progressive and cannot be noticed immediately after treatment. Patients will begin to see results within 4-6 months of the initial treatment session. We recommend three sessions spaced 4-6 weeks apart for optimal results. Patients can appreciate the continuous improvement in skin quality in the weeks and months following a final treatment.
How the Procedure Works
The procedure takes around 30-45 minutes to complete. Sculptra is injected into deeper layers of skin with a fine needle or cannula to stimulate collagen production.
Before & Preparation
- To minimize bruising, avoid taking the following medications at least seven days before injections: anti-inflammatory medications (Aspirin, Advil, Ibuprofen, etc), Omega-3 supplements (fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc), Vit E, and blood thinner medications.
- Keep the face cleanto avoid breakouts before the procedure.
- Your provider may recommend an antibiotic before treatment if you have a history of cold sores.
During the Procedure
- Sculptra is a virtually painless, minimally invasive injection procedure.
- Your provider will map and cleanse the treatment area.
- Before use, Sculptra is reconstituted by adding sterile water for injection (SWFI) and USP to form a sterile, non-pyrogenic suspension. A local anesthetic is also mixed with the injection to minimize discomfort.
- Your provider will inject the filler into the deeper layers of skin.
- Your provider will periodically massage the treatment area to ensure even distribution and reduce the risk of lump or nodule formation.
- Patients can return to their work and perform their daily routine activities immediately.
Aftercare & Recovery
- Any evidence of inflammation and erythema around the treated areas will resolve within 1-2 days.
- Patients may use an ice pack to reduce discomfort. Place a protective covering over the ice pack to avoid direct contact with the treated area.
- Thoroughly massage the treatment area for 5 minutes, five times a day for five days after the injection session (Rule of 5), to ensure even product distribution.
- Avoid excessive sun and heat.
- Selecting a proper sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more is essential. Frequent sunscreen application is necessary; that is 20 minutes before going out and reapply every 2 hours.
- If you cannot avoid direct sun exposure, utilize physical prevention such as a hat or clothing to cover the treated area.
- Avoid alcohol and vigorous exercise for two days post-treatment.
Sculptra is used to correct age-related changes by restoring volume and building collagen. Treatment areas include:
- Buttocks (lifts and eliminates sagging)
Am I a Good Candidate for Sculptra?
You are a good candidate for Sculptra if you:
- Are 18 or older
- Want to reduce wrinkles and fine line
- Want to increase facial volume.
- Want to lift the buttocks
- Don’t have a habit of smoking
Side Effects & Risks
Irritation: It can be in the form of redness or bruising at the injection site. This effect typically subsides within a few hours or days. An ice pack may give some relief.
Swelling: It may also appear as small bumps either near or away from the injection site. It can last up to a week after treatment. Elevating the head with pillows and applying a cold compress can help subside the swelling.
Discoloration of Skin (Rare): Very few patients experience discoloration following injections, but it subsides within a few days.
Nodules: Patients may experience nodule formation on or near the injection site. Early nodules may be due to uneven product distribution; Periodic massaging can solve the issue.